Coconut oil isn't just for cooking. It is one of the most versatile health food items in your pantry! The health benefits of coconut oil range from being a weight loss aid to naturally moisturizing your hair/skin/cuticles. Below are 5 of our favorite ways to use this little jar of goodness...
1. Great For Cooking - Coconut oil is great for cooking at a high heat. Unlike other oils (olive oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, etc), coconut oil remains stable under high temperatures and don't change on a molecular level... meaning it is the healthiest option to use when sauteing your veggies! Any time you see another oil in a recipe, substitute coconut oil for a healthier option.
2. Fat Burning Supplement - Wait... Coconut oil is all fat, right? So you can eat fat to burn fat?? Yup! That's right!! Not all fats are created equal. According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, consuming coconut oil (about a tablespoon a day) leads to a greater rate of weight and fat mass loss, especially targeting abdominal fat, by helping your body to burn fat for energy. Uh...Mazing!
3. Oil Pulling - We're sure you've been hearing a lot about oil pulling lately. Seems to be the latest celebrity craze in Hollywood! Oil pulling is a great way to detox your body, kill bad breath, fight bacteria in your body, cure tooth decay and boost your overall immune system! Upon rising, take one tablespoon of coconut oil and 'swish' it in your mouth (while 'pulling' the oil between your teeth). Do not swallow the oil, as it has attracted toxins from your body! Keep the oil moving around in your mouth for 10-20 minutes and spit it out in the trash (not in your sink as it can cause havoc on your draining system!). Brush teeth immediately following.
4. Moisturizes Skin & Helps Reduce Cellulite - It's a great moisturizer for your face! It absorbs into your skin quickly and is a natural way to put moisture back into your skin. It also helps to fight premature aging. Warm a bit up in your palms (at room temperature, it is a solid but it quickly melts when it comes in contact with your hands) and gently press into your skin. It's great for the rest of your body too! Used regularly, it's been shown to reduce the appearance of cellulite in all of our ugly little trouble spots!
5. Natural Makeup Remover - Gently rubbing a small amount of coconut oil into your eye makeup will quickly liquefy even the toughest eyeliners and mascaras! Be sure to use a warm, wet cloth to wipe your eyes clean after rubbing the coconut oil gently onto your upper and lower lids in a circular motion. The best part about using this to remove eye makeup instead of other cleansers is that it will not string or irritate your eyes. And an added bonus... It helps to hydrate those fine lines around your eyes!
There are so many more uses of coconut oil! Let us know ways you like to use it in your home! And be sure to check out other fun blogs containing healthy recipes and snacks in our Pageantology Pantry!
Till next time,