We're always encouraging our Pageantology girls to eat lots of salads and I can see it on their faces..."but salads are so boring and tasteless"! I've said it once and I'll say it again, eating healthy DOES NOT mean you have to sacrifice taste! The sweetness of the corn and yams in this salad gives it that extra yumminess we all want in an entrée-sized salad. Furthermore, kale is one of the best greens you can put into your body for all its disease-fighting and antioxidant properties! Check out the 6 top health benefits of kale and read for yourself how awesome this leafy green is for you!
The Sweet Kale Salad wasn't something I was planning on making and I didn't measure the ingredients (I rarely do actually) so I estimated below. The great thing is that you can't really mess this up! If you love a certain veggie on the below list, by all means add more of it! And if there's another ingredient that you want to add, go ahead and add it. The only thing I wouldn't add is meat, unless you remove the yams. It's hard for the body to digest starches and animal protein simultaneously so you don't want to mix them in the same meal. When a meal isn't digested properly, it sits in your gut longer and adds on extra pounds and who wants THAT?! (I'll write more about this on a later blog)
I love salads but, truth be told, sometimes I get bored with them and just start throwing ingredients together with whatever I have in the refrigerator in hopes of creating something new. That's how I created the Sweet Kale Salad and it did not disappoint....
Kale (the kind that's pre-washed and comes in a bag)
2 handfuls of baby kale or spinach
1/2 large sweet yellow onion
1 cup of corn (I use organic frozen)
1 cup of peas (I use organic frozen)
2-3 garnet yams (cut into bite sized pieces)
Cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
1. Spread the yam pieces on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake at 350* until soft.
2. Sauté the onion in a little bit of butter in a pan. When soft, add the kale and sauté for about 2 min. (Onion and kale sautés in about 3-4 min! You don't want to over sauté kale and totally kill all the great nutrients.)
3. Heat up the corn and peas in a bit of water and drain when cooked.
4. Once everything is cooked let it cool down a little bit.
5. Toss all the ingredients in a bowl with our ginger tahini dressing. Serve in bowls and enjoy! You can top this dish with fresh chopped parsley or diced avocado for extra yumminess!
Enjoy friends! Btw, here's what my salad looked like...
Be sure to check out other healthy recipes that will help keep you in tip top shape in the Pageantology Pantry!